Followers

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Derby - back in full swing- Level ONE here I come!


I have been to four derby practices in 2010 and it feels like I haven't skipped a beat.... Like there was no break at all...

The first few practices the Fresh Meat (which I am still part of because I haven't passed my level ones) were skating separate from everyone else. On the first practice Miss Chif was with me and made a comment about not wanting to be with the fresh meat and Empress took her aside and assessed her - she is now a level one... So, EVERY girl that started with me in September is a level 1 but me... It frustrates me that I am not picking it up as quick as I want to. I want to be a level one... I want to move up the derby food chain.

At the fourth practice, I got some good constructive criticism... I LOOK PETRIFIED when I skate... I had no idea... Seriously. The other piece of info I got was that I am standing up pretty straight, not in a derby stance... Dude, I thought I was getting low... NO IDEA...

So, maybe these little tidbits will help me get the skate skating and move towards my goal of progressing to a level one... Seriously - leaps and bounds from my first day ever on skates. I have even fallen a few times more lately. I say this because it scared me a little bit, thinking if I fell I might hurt myself seriously... I fell like 4 times this week... No serious injuries yet (knock on wood).

I have asked some of the girls if they could video tape me trying to do my cross overs too. I WANT TO NAIL THEM... I want to be a level one so bad. I want to learn how to hit... You want to know why I want to learn how to hit? It scares the crap out of me, but it sounds like it is so much fun...

At our last practice we did a drill where all the freshies were skating in a line and we had to weave in and out of them... I loved it... I was trying to do my cross overs at the corners but then I felt like I was getting too much speed and was getting a head of myself... I loved this drill... It felt like real derby...

The best is yet to come - LEVEL ONE!

2 comments:

Helen Carnate said...

Awesome DKB! I feel the same way you do and I just started.... I want to do it all NOW! Off to open skate Sunday to try to work on those dreaded front to backward transitions where I don't feel like I'm holding up the entire league. See you on Tuesday night!

ldolloph said...

Go Katie! You'll hit your goal in no time!