Followers

Friday, April 23, 2010

I just want to skate


Saturday morning I woke up with a pain in my back... I had experienced this type of shoulder/back pain before and it went away on its own, so I didn't think much of it. It kind of went away Saturday. When I woke up Sunday morning, it was uncomfortable again but it subsided. Monday when I woke up, it was back with a vegence and had a point to prove... My back/shoulder hurt, my pinky was numb and my left cheek (near my lip) was numb. I went to Urgent Care and was told it was Radiculopathy. I was given Vicodin and Prednisone. I figured since I had an appt with my doctor Tuesday (4/27) I would fine.

Each day the pain was different and worse. Today I wake up with absolutely zero feeling in my left forearm and pins and needles in my index and pinky finger. I had piercing pain in my shoulder blade and just above my elbow on the back of my arm. This pain has been followed by a million muscle spasms. I called my doctor and since she isn't in the office today, I was told to go to the ER. Because I am honestly scared shitless about this, I am waiting til I get out of work to go someplace I am familiar - Concord Hospital. I don't really know what can be done about this, maybe an MRI? However, the Vicodin and the Prednisone haven't done anything at all. Ibuprofen doesn't touch it either. I am afraid that it may be a pinch nerve, hopefully not disc related, but I don't want to have surgery. Being a former Worker's Comp adjuster and Short Term Disability Claims Manager I know the outcome of such surgeries are not good... How are they going to stop the numbness TODAY? I don't know..

I haven't been skating this week. It isn't because I have lost range of motion or anything like that. I feel that if I fall I may cause further damage. I have a big committment tomorrow. However, I do not want my fingers/arm to turn black and fall off.

I was watching some of the new girls at practice last night and they are so great. Not next week, but the following week assessments will happen again... I just want to skate. I want to use my new OrthoSoles and just skate, not worry about my arm falling off.

3 comments:

Helen Carnate said...

<3 DKB. Sending you good vibes and crossing my fingers that you get better soon so you can rock out at assessments!

Mom of 3 Boys said...

yikes katie
i hope you get better.

Kiss 'n Vinegar said...

Hoping they are able to get to the root of it and get you good as new, quickly!