Followers

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse...


I went to the doctor today to review my MRIs. I was thinking it was something that could be worked out with plain old deep tissue massage and reducing the stress in my life. I figured I would be cleared to play both roller derby and softball.

I couldn't have been more wrong. I have a prolapsed disc at C6-C7... Basically, a herniated disc. The doctor has no idea how this happened. There was not fall, not hit, not collision. Just woke up in pain. So, there are two avenues he would like me to persue simultanesously. One avenue consists of Physical Therapy with a trial of cervical traction and anti-inflammatories. While I am working on this, the other avenue, is to consult a SPINAL SURGEON. I am unable to play softball or roller derby because one collison could possible cause a severe spinal injury.

GREAT... Here's me passing my level one anytime soon. Here's me meeting my goal to somehow becomse scrimmage eligible for the next draft in July. I just want to skate and now I can't. I even had to email the guy running the softball team and ask for a refund. Seriously. I can't play. I was only told once in my life that I could play a sport and that was because of my knee, and you know what? I played anyway. I don't believe that can happen this time... I am completely devastated.

2 comments:

Korey said...

hey katie, i am really sorry.
can it mend itself; i am sure you will get better and then you can play again.
let's plan a margarita night with heather and sarah....you CAN still have fun and drink tasty drinks!!!lorraine (too lazy to sign out and in for me)

Kerry said...

try the PT first - traction (if done properly) will help reduce the compression on the disc and un-herniate it (not the scientific term, but you know what I mean). I had something similar in L5 my senior year of college...developed nagging pain in my hamstring and kept thinking it was a tight muscle, but the disk protrusion was hitting my sciatic nerve..hence the pain in the back of my leg, butt, numb foot, etc. I was misdiagnosed several times. Then finally I saw a chiropractor who did manual spinal traction. I had to go 2-3x per week at first, NO RUNNING or other exercise (he told me that was a good time to take up something like competitive chess). Within 3 months the pain was subsiding and then within 4 I was running again.

Traction can work and then you do things to strengthen the ligaments in your neck and surrounding areas with the PT and this should resolve itself.

There is no need for you to endure surgery. Find a good PT and a chiropractor who knows how to do proper traction and this will work, trust me. You should see the crazy shit cyclists do to themselves and they are back up and competing again without surgery.