Followers

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

After 8 months, I can't quite believe it

Thursday, January 6th, 2011 was my first day back on skates since April 17, 2010. That is 265 days not on skates... And it felt like I had never had skates on before.

Coming back after being out for so long is hard. So many parts of my life has changed. I have changed jobs which changes my commute. I had SPINE surgery which left me sedentary for 8 months. I have put on weight so now my knee hurts more, my whole body hurts more because I haven't done much of anything... NOW let's strap wheels on my feet.
OKAY.

I think I did okay, but it felt like practice felt on my second practice ever. I felt more afraid to fall than ever before. That JARRING feeling of my spine crunching scares me.

Well, I fell on Monday at practice # 2 and I'll tell you what, I will relate it to skiing. When one skis and is about ready for the last run, one should assess if he/she is too tired or what have you so one doesn't fall and injure oneself. That's what I should have done on my last lap on Monday... My legs were wobbly. The wobbliest they have been. I was about to pull off and get my sea legs back and I hear, "YOU CAN DO IT DKB, DON'T GIVE UP". So, I continue around again to complete the timed skate. Half way around I fall down HARD on my knee and I was near tears because I was so afraid that it WOULD hurt. I am okay, sore today but somewhat happy practice is cancelled due to the weather.

1 comment:

ldolloph said...

Welcome back to blogging! You are a very determined person and I know you're going to get your skating groove back on!