Followers

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Manager?

As you all know, I have started a new endeavor in my life, it is called ROLLER DERBY. (Unless you have been living in a meat locker somewhere, I am sure you already know this). What you may also know is that, although I have been an athlete my whole life, roller skating is not something I have ever done before. Since, this has been a year of first, I have started trying new things within derby - stats was the first and now I am learning how to be a bench manager.

Hazardous Heat has been training me and last week was my first solo go at managing. I manged the Queen City Cherry Bombs... No pun intended but I had a blast. I felt like I knew what I was doing. I kept my cool the whole time. I never flipped out and that helped set the tone with the team. I am so pleased that other people noticed my level headed-ness (please check out the shout out I received in another blog: http://hazelgetscrunched.blogspot.com/). I have never really been known to be level headed so it is nice to know I was able to not flip out and maintain control and send people to the positions where they needed to be. If I needed someone else to step in they just said sure.

You should see the postings in fb:
Katie Mills THANK YOU Cherry Bombs for letting me manage! I enjoyed every single second. You guys rock!

Lisa DiLeo
i love when you manage, you stay so calm and keep it together so nicely. former teacher skills coming in handy :)
Fri at 12:07am ·

Julia Van Alst
you did a GREAT job!
Fri at 12:08am ·

Maura Branley
yes calm! ♥ me some DKB!!
Fri at 12:28am ·

Jena Cotreau
yup! another great job!
Fri at 12:48am ·

Jennifer Liskow Waltner
You're so zen it helps me hold it together. Awesomeness.
Fri at 7:40am ·

Katie Mills
You guys are so sweet. Thank you!!!
Fri at 8:03am ·

Keen On New England
nice job DKB!! i love how you delegated, "you, tell so and so they are this position next jam"
Fri at 12:36pm ·

Minda Henderson Shaheen
I thought you did a great job! Clear-headedness seems to come easy to you.
Sat at 4:50am ·

Heather Heatisis
what!! I have competition, where did that come from?I'm gonna kick your butt DKB--GOL(giggle out loud)-can we have a derby scrimmage for managers only?nevermind I gotta wait for my extra teammate to emerge
Sat at 9:15am ·

Sandra Morin Katie...you are the best manager I've seen! You are so calm and so cool, it's awesome. And that reflects on the team you're managing so they can stay focuesed . It's a pleasure to watch you guys WORK TOGETHER.

I have found something, in managing, that I really love... I also now have the sense of being on a team, not just on the league.

No comments: