Followers

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

And finally, I GOT TO HIT!

Hitting drills were on the menu for last night's practice and I found my favorite thing to do!!! I have been waiting for this moment for approximately 33 years, more or less.

We first did a drill where we had to skate under a jump rope and "jump" up like a pretend hit. We were to use our legs and pop up... At the end of weaving and popping we were to skate to a person in the end holding a hitting pad and give him our best hit... The first time through the line, I got clothes lined. May B Knotty was the end and giggled at my attempt (and it made me chuckle)... The second time, I heeded Heat's advise and to use my knees and I lost my balance completely. I caught myself from falling but it wasn't pretty. The third time, I believe I got it.

Then we had to skate around with our Skater Sister and LEAN into a hit (since I am still no contact, I couldn't actually hit, per se, but I could lean into it. And this was the best thing every... I was pretty much able to push my Skater Sister out each time, while trying to keep my elbows in... Man that was so much fun.

Then after all that, we went off to the side, took our skates off and learned the basics of how to hit... This was by far my favorite part. Every hit or stance I could relate to another sport or something I am skilled in... Keeping my elbows in and getting low is like volley ball... the lower the base of the hit the harder it is to get knocked down - like the strike zone (kind of).. Swooping in is like BOXING OUT in basket ball and the hip check is like a dance move...

YAY... I enjoyed that thoroughly. Plus, teaching Nancy and Yvonne how to do stats (or at least try to teach them) was so much fun.. They were such great learners and I enjoyed being on top of it - except that ONE TIME I zoned out and Woody yelled at me to get my attention, but I TOTALLY deserved it...

Can't wait to practice it some more.

1 comment:

Helen Carnate said...

Yay! I like blocking weeks too :D See you in a couple hours!