Followers

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Derby, Derby, Derby

I seriously feel like I am back in college and President of my Sorority once again... To quote my boyfriend, "a Low life living the High Life". College was the best time of my life. I had so many friends, everyone on campus knew me (that could be an over statement, but my theory was that since I worked in the bookstore, everyone at least SAW me). I didn't have a care in the world. Money wasn't an issue because I was the President and didn't have to PAY to get into parties, I was respected because I was a member of the executive board of Greek Senate. I felt like the belle of the ball...

Getting back into something like Roller Derby with NHRD is like being in a sorority again, minus the drinking all the time... It is ironic to me that although I will forever be a sister of Eta Gamma Chi, the year that HrX ceases to exist, I find a place to fit, and really feel like I belong...

My days are filled with meetings and practice and people that want to spend time with me and are interested in my day to day stuff... If my facebook status is kind of down in the dumps - I get emails that someone will take care of who ever put the pus on my face... It is nice to feel part of something again.

Also, being a part of this team makes me feel better about me. Although not all things work out the way I want them to, people seem to really understand me and I am no longer on the island of misfit toys. Friday, I get home from work and what seemed like a really long week and I have an anonymous card in my mailbox, with no return address, just a postmark from Manchester. It is addressed to Dirty Kat Box (and I am 100% certain that the mailman laughed his ass off) and it is signed LOVE, ME... It says some really nice things to me and it made me cry (a second time this week) for all the right reasons. Once again, I get reassured that I somehow have made a difference to some people and they genuinely care about me and my feelings.

I am lucky enough to say I have met some wonderful people in my life, and even luckier to have these people in my friends column. However, I can't even express in words how awesome it feels to know that some of these people that I have met recently, within the past 4 months, are so welcoming and help me feel like I belong.

Being a single lady in her 30's, I sometimes think of my lonely times and to know that I have some great friends to spend time with and make me feel good about myself, makes me not feel so lonely.

I will also say that I do have some "old" friends from KSC/K&Q/WRHS that do make me feel like I belong and are great people. Our lives have brought us to different places in life physically, relationally, professionally and personally. These people are also important people in my life that aided me in becoming who I am now and I cherish every minute we have spent and will spend together...

Derby is everything about being in college that I loved AND you get to skate around and eventually get to knock people down too... Who could ask for anything more?! hehehehe

2 comments:

ldolloph said...

This is my favorite blog! I'm so impressed how you can eloquently translate your feelings into words for us all to share! I'm so happy you have a new group of friends to share your life with. Rock on Katie!

Mom of 3 Boys said...

catching up on your blog again :) i am so happy that you have found a new activity that you love :)