Followers

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Anti-Clockwise

My mom read somewhere that at different times of the year one is to change the direction the ceiling fan is going. She couldn't remember the opposite of clockwise, so she wrote herself a note to turn the fan ANTI-CLOCKWISE.

I share that anecdote because in Roller Derby we skate counterclockwise normally. However, in practice to build up the "opposite" muscle group we skate the opposite way. THIS KICKS MY ASS. I can't do the cross overs with the opposite leg. Frankly I can't even master the crossovers with the correct leg. I groan and moan and just hate it when I hear training tell us to turn around and sprint the other way. So, I will now, forever, refer to that as anti-clockwise, because I am so ANTI every time we have to do it!

Last night's practice was complete agility and we would do a drill and then do a 2 minute sprint. I was pooped last night because I was doing so many new things and my body didn't really know how to react. We did balance drills, we skated backwards, we did transitions, turning toe stops, skating around cones on one leg... The last sprint was anti-clockwise and I was beat. However, Bettie came up behind me and verbally pushed me to push myself for that last 2 minutes. It was SO what I needed because I was ready to give up! I needed that kind of positive reinforcement to push me to continue. It wasn't like a mandate to "do my crossovers", it was positively pushing me and that made my whole practice... It was like Bettie "knew me" to know that was what I needed. Which means that next time I know I will be able to do it on my own...

Even though I am ANTI clockwise, I am PRO positive reinforcement!

(okay so my Anti-clockwise analogy doesn't really work, but just roll with me, okay?)

No comments: