Followers

Friday, September 11, 2009

Day 2 on Skates

Last night was my second practice and what a WORLD of improvement. Let's say that Balance and learning how to stop are still on the top of my to do list, but I didn't fall as much! I think I had more confidence in myself because I survived the 1st practice, too...

Since the All-Stars have a bout Saturday in Delaware, the Fresh Meat (which we are called until we have a derby name; which is earned after 8 practices) were taken to the side and we worked on skills for our first test. Now, all of the Fresh Meat at practice last night have skated more than one time. I kind of felt a little like a fish out of water. That being said, when I am nervous I tend to make stupid jokes that only I think is funny. Therefore, not sure if I came across as annoying but I will tell you that I did my best at every skill they put in front of me. Some of the Fresh Meat in the group went to the Tuesday night practice- which means they are like ready to test to be a level 1... Personally I am as close to testing to be a level 1 as I am close to being Runner Up for Miss America!

We practiced stopping. One is a a Toe Stop - which is dragging the toe of one's skate to slow oneself down using the rubber stop thingie on your skate. I can get that one OKAY. Not perfect because I haven't mastered balance. The next stop is a T stop. I can't get this to save my life because I have to master that wacky thing called balance. It is literally using your lead foot and taking the opposite foot behind that skate perpendicularly to stop yourself. Because I can't really stand on one foot (whilst moving) I haven't quite gotten it yet. Reffington Steele (one of the Ref's who comes to practice to Ref the scrimmages at the end of practice) told me I can put my skates on and stand in my carpeted living room and just stand on one leg. I am going to try that because it won't hurt. Sadly, standing up with out skates on and standing on one leg is ALSO an issue with me. Balance is an issue NORMALLY for me. Not sure if it is a knee issue or what.

Nonetheless, we also practiced PLOW STOPS, which is just like skiing. However, I feel on skates you have to get your legs wider and your body lower. And since it is day 2 of skating my leg muscles haven't developed enough yet to give me that core strength yet to maintain a low stance. (We did a drill called the shopping cart and my skater sister Pixie pushed me around the floor and I had to hold the skater stance and steer. Steering was me not skating or moving my legs it was leaning into a turn and all that.... After me pushing her around and then her pushing me, my legs were MUSH and then I fell. Therefore I need to build up my strength and skating uses muscles really only built up by skating... GREAT!) I was able to figure out how to do the plow stop, but I think I pulled my groin in the process... We then did KNEE stops where, much like football, you take a knee but you skate into it and then in order to pass to the next level of skater, one must take a knee and get back up within 2 seconds. OH YA! You can't use your hands to get up you must use your legs. Another way to stop is the double knee or the ROCK STAR STOP which looks like the guitar pose where said guitarist slides across the stage on his knees... I got that one pretty well. Finally we did the Baseball stop which is basically like sliding into a base. 26 years of softball, I GOT THIS.... I do have some mechanics to work on, but I nailed it!

The part that will kill me is the cross over... This is how one builds up speed and in order to pick up my right foot, put it in front of my left (hence cross over) and push back out with it will come, but almost not fast enough for me....

I feel pretty good about my improvement from my 1st day skating - it is almost like night and day. Sadly, the girl from practice on Sunday who had a really hard time and had actually skated before, didn't show up. I hope she comes back!!!! I know I will.

No pictures yet of me in derby gear. I will work on that. Just keep praying for me that I keep picking it up quickly and I don't hurt myself.

Day 3 on Skates is 9/13! I'll definitely keep you posted!

1 comment:

ldolloph said...

This brings back memories of the roller rink when I was a kid. Did you ever skate when you were little? I LOVE the update!