Followers

Friday, September 18, 2009

Practice #3 9/13

This practice started out really well. We get to Leominster and CMRD (Central Mass Roller Derby) is practicing and they have a huge group of Fresh Meat (a lot of which haven't ever skated before - made me look like Brian Boitano in comparison! The guy, Ben, who was going over the ins and out of stopping and crossovers really spelled it out for me and I felt I improved LEAPS AND BOUNDS just from Thursday.

After CMRD left the rink, it was time to skate with NHRD and do drills. There weren't many girls there as the All Stars had an away bout in Delaware Saturday and a lot of girls hadn't gotten back from the road trip.

Kissing Bandit was leading the practice and she wanted us to skate in a line and the last person was to weave in and out of the people in front of them until one reached the front of the line and then the last person would go.... YIKES. I say Yikes because we had to maintain an arm's length apart from the person in front of you. I couldn't do that as I haven't mastered the crossover which maintains speed while skating... So, after a few laps of just trying to stay an arm's length - so I just skated around with my Skater Sister working on my stops. I will say, however, this drill almost caused my first cry session. I felt very disheartened that I physically couldn't do what everyone else was doing. It has nothing to do with my size or whatever, it is that I just don't know how to skate that way YET...

Interestingly enough, after this drill was completed, Bandit worked on Whips... This would be propelling another skater forward to get ahead of a pack or what have you. Since I can't stop, propelling me forward isn't a good idea. Also, this is considered contact- which we shouldn't be doing until we are a level 1, but whips are actually for LEVEL 2's. Glad I didn't participate. Even though I didn't participate, it doesn't mean I went and sat down and watched. I skated around and worked on other things because sitting down is like giving up... And I don't give up!

I must say that I didn't fall at all at this practice.

1 comment:

ldolloph said...

Awesome Katie! Can you believe how much you've learned in such a short period of time? You rock! Have you come up with you name yet?