Followers

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The ONE?

On my 20 minute commute to work, which magically turned into a 47 minute commute (only when one is running late does the actual land travelled stretch farther, I swear) I was contemplating how I have had 4 "the ones" in my life. Seriously? How is that possible. I had probable mates that I actual thought were the one - all different people - and yet none of them were.

Being the one is different than actually telling that person you love them. I have been in love many times, but those weren't people with whom I actually contemplated sharing the rest of my sunshine .

4 people. One of which was my first real serious boyfriend, the longest adult relationship I have ever had. The only guy, who after 4 months of dating asked me to marry him. No ring, just a promise. I was 18, it was so romantic. I secretly thought about running off and marrying him and not telling a soul, still living separately, never telling our parents but only we would know- I am sure he did NOT feel the same way as me regarding secret nuptials... That lasted for over 2 years and fizzled away into anonymity. I hear he is married and has multiple children. Good for him.

The second was the first time I ever lived with a guy. I moved to Maine so we could have a house together. The second longest adult relationship I have ever had - over a year and we lived together, so like in DOG years that was like 3 years, right? Well, that ended horribly with a restraining order and many court appearances. That happens when one threatens my life...

The third was 9 months... A long distance relationship with a guy I had met online and I was ready to quit my job and move to where he lived. However, he had recently gotten out of a 14 year marriage and had never been on his own - the long distance was to his advantage and that fizzled out into nothing as well.

Most recently was only 4 months and maybe because it is the freshest it hurts the most. It wasn't ideal, I gave more than I was given. I was the perfect girlfriend. (A guy I dated once who I loved *or thought I did because he was like David Koresh* once told me I would make a great wife someday, if I could only be a good girlfriend)... Well, I was very selfless and gave a lot of time, energy and financial backing (remember this is very fresh so there might be some anger still in my tone) to a man I was willing to ask how high when he said jump. Obviously because I was a CHER to his Sonny- he couldn't handle my radiant loveliness and awesomeness so we fizzled into nothing...

I say fizzled into nothingness because when I love and want to be with someone I love hard, and when I am hurt I am hurt for a long time - I can not forgive and forget. Therefore you fizzle into nothingness - like you were before you were in my life- nothing.

So, were these examples really THE ONE? Obviously not. I have heard the line, "Not Mr. Right, but Mr. Right NOW... That's what they were. And with all this effort and realization, I am ready to put my feet firmly on the dating floor and kiss more toads (LORD KNOWS I HAVE KISSED A LOT OF THEM) to find this elusive one for me.

I look back at these "ones" and wonder if they ever look back at me as the one that got away... Of course they should... Dude, have you met me ????

2 comments:

Mom of 3 Boys said...

oh katie!!!! you will meet someone much better! these are toads for sure!
i have some bozo boyfriend stories as well but since my MIL and husband read my blog...i will have to refrain!

ldolloph said...

Love ya Katie! Good for you jumping back into the dating scene. The other 4 missed out! I'm glad you're back blogging. I missed it!