Followers

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Eskimo words for snow

I was going to be all witty and try to make a great analogy for what I am going to blog about and relate it to the myriad of words Eskimos have for snow - so I went to Google and it pointed me in the direction of Wikipedia. I got all excited and started to read it and it says:
"It is a popular urban legend that the Inuit or Eskimo have an unusually large number of words for snow. In reality, the number of words depends on the definitions of Eskimo (there are a number of language) and snow, and on the method of counting numbers of words in languages that have quite different grammatical structures from English"

So, that totally ruins my plans for an awesome blog and almost made me forget what I was going to blog about... I digress.

Yesterday was a crazy day. I think most work days are just crazy. I am not sure what my damage is, but I have been feeling VERY overwhelmed this week, like I am carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders, unnecessarily for that matter. I am not sure what has brought this about, but it just happens. First I thought it was the weather yesterday and I was just down in the dumps, but them later on in the day I started feeling better - and jovial and back to my ole self... Then I decided I must just be hypoglycemic... I don't know where that came from, but it was definitely the way I could explain how I feel yucky all morning- almost EVERY MORNING- and it is a fine line between feeling hungry or nauseous. This is every morning... So, again I googled it:

Hypoglycemia is the medical term for a pathologic state produced by a lower than normal level of glucose (sugar) in the blood.

While there is some degree of variability among people, most will usually develop symptoms suggestive of hypoglycemia when blood glucose levels are lowered to the mid 50's. The first set of symptoms are called neuro-genic (or sympathetic) because they relate to the nervous system's response to hypoglycemia. Patients may experience any of the following;
nervousness,
sweating,
intense hunger,
trembling,
weakness,
palpitations, and
often have trouble speaking.

Okay - That rules me out - now back to my story...

So, after a crazy day, it ended out wonderful. I hung out with friends and had great company to lift my spirits. Yesterday ended wonderfully and today started beautifully as well and I hope my mood continues to stay even keel and prosper.

I guess now that I have learned that it is just an Urban legend about the Eskimo words for snow, I can't really relate it to my blog - I wanted to say that in Spanish there are many ways to say you love stuff - There is a word for loving things and there is a word for loving people - one of the words for loving a person is actually saying, "I want you" interestingly enough. What I am trying to say is how do you know the "strength" of the word to say you love someone? When do you know it is the right time to move from the meager liking of something to expressing that stronger word of love? Maybe I am too analytical and worrisome, but I don't know when it is appropriate.

So now that the world is all perfectly in alignment once again, maybe I should just pick an Eskimo word *(no matter what the dialect)* and use that to equate how I feel. People may not know what I mean, but I will, and I will not run the risk of saying it too early.

1 comment:

Mama Mia said...

I hate snow...just had to share!